I got talking to a fellow traveler from Edinburgh today and was mortified when she got excited about Pokémon being on television. It turns out that she was really into it when she was younger. I guess it’s only like Transformers and Star Wars in my formative years.
I only realised recently – to my horror – that people born in 1990 are of legal drinking age (in the UK at least). There’s only seven years age difference between my brother and me but there are a few things I mention that he refuses to believe ever happened.
Remembering the following things actually make me start to feel old:
- Only having three channels of television and the stations closed down overnight after playing the national anthem.
- Weathermen physically sticking symbols on to a board shaped like the UK.
- Half penny coins.
- Can ring pulls that actually detached.
- Getting change from a pound note when going to the cinema – and having a snack.
- Being able to smoke anywhere apart from the bottom deck of the bus.